Cycles Defined, Registration and Drivers Licensing Requirements
- A Motorcycle has more than 150 CC, no more than 3 wheels and weighs less than 1500 pounds. Three wheeled motorcycles or motorcycle with a side car require only a Class C driver license. CVC Sec. 400
- A Motorcycle has to be registered and driver must have a Motor cycle license (M1).
Motor Driven Cycle
- A Motor Driven Cycle has 149CC or less engine size. CVC Sec. 405
- A Motor Driven Cycle has to be registered and driver must have a Motor cycle license (M1).
- A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy). CVC Sec. 406(s) 406 (b)
- A Motorized Bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which require a one-time $18 fee. No renewal required. (M2) moped/scooter only license or an M1
- A motorized scooter is a two-wheeled device that has handlebars, a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding, and is powered by a motor. More Information CVC Sec. 407.5
- Motorized scooter does NOT have to be registered but driver must have a (M2) moped/scooter only license or an M1
2014 Motorcycle Handbook
M1 License: You may operate any two-wheel motorcycle, motor driven cycle or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.
M2 License: You may operate any motorized bicycle (moped), any bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter.
If you have any further questions, feel free to contact the Traffic Division at (951) 736-2355.